Stone Gate


Kamenita ulica

The story of the old part of Zagreb, the so-called Upper Town, begins at the Stone Gate. The Stone Gate is also the ideal place to start a walking tour of the Old Town, and is an excellent photo opportunity. The Stone Gate is part of the remains of the city walls that once stood around the old town. The fire that destroyed much of Gradec on May 1731, burning down houses that were close to the Stone Gate. The Gate displayed a painting of the Mother of God, which was miraculously undamaged by the fire. To commemorate the event, grateful citizens built a chapel within the arch of the old Stone Gate. The chapel, which still houses the painting of the Mother of God, has since become Zagreb’s biggest shrine and is regularly visited by people who come to light a candle and thank the Lady for protecting them.